Ontario Cycling Association in partnership with Kelso Conservation Area, are excited to announce the upcoming 2018 Ontario MTB Provincial Championship will be held at Kelso Conservation Area on August 25th and August 26th.
Kelso Conservation Area hosts nearly 30km of trail that explores the fields and forests along the Niagara Escarpment. Kelso offers trails that cater to the new rider and seasoned expert. With double and single track, climbs, descents, and plenty of natural and man-made technical terrain features, Kelso will not disappoint.
Registration Closes: Thursday, August 23rd at 11:59 pm (midnight)
9:00 & 10:00 AM Course Map: https://www.trailforks.com/route/oca-provincials-event-loop-a/
11:45 AM Course Map: https://www.trailforks.com/route/oca-provincials-event-loop-b/
1:30 PM Course Map: https://www.trailforks.com/route/oca-provincials-event-loop-c/
- Pre-register to avoid disappointment
- Participants must have a UCI license to participate within championship categories. Citizen Permits are also accepted for some championship categories (i.e. Squirt, Minime, & Peewee)
- One-day permits are available upon registration for non-championship categories. Please refer to the licensing chart within the tech guide
- Riders participating in the Kelso MTB Series for 2018 should indicate so at time of registration
- Gate entry fees at Kelso are included within the registration fee for all riders participating on Sunday August 26th only. All participants MUST hand in proof of registration upon entrance at the gate house, in order to waive the gate fee. If riders are unable to hand in proof of registration, they will be charged the participant gate fee of $5.50 upon entry. Refunds will not be issued if participants return later in the day to show proof of registration
- Riders who wish to pre-ride the course on Saturday, August 25th will be required to pay the gate entry fee upon entrance at the park
- A team area will be allocated near the West Lodge. No team vehicles or equipment trailers will have access due to the controlled access across the railway tracks. Teams will be required to use the elevator and pedestrian bridge to transport items to the Start/Finish area near the West Lodge.
Saturday, August 25th
10:30 AM | Trails open for pre-riding
11:00 AM | Kids Race
11:00 AM – 4:00 PM | Registration & Plate Pick Up Open
7:00 PM | Trails close to pre-riding
Sunday, August 26th
7:30 AM – 1:00 PM | Registration Open
9:00 AM | Provincial Championship (see tech guide for category schedule)
New to racing? Not sure you are ready to experience an Ontario Cup race? Let us show you how easy and fun it can be! Come race with other younger and newer riders and experience the thrill of racing. Kelso’s kids course will be setup to provide some challenge, without pushing the comfort envelope too far. The kids course will include a little taste of everything that a full race could offer.
Anticipated course length will be under 5km in total. Each rider will receive a race plate and official time. The race route will be marshalled with race staff and first aid to help ensure the race is a safe one. Cost of entry is $20.
Kids Race Registration: https://secure.conservationhalton.net/kelreg/
Come celebrate the sport, don’t worry about the podium!
CAMPING & PARK ACTIVITIES
Make it a weekend! Camping is available at Kelso! Race specific camping sites will provide enough space for a tent, chair, and other small amenities. A limited number of camping trailer slots are available however no hydro or sewage hookups will be available.
To reserve your spot for the night or weekend, please contact the Kelso Conservation Area Visitor Service team at 905-878-5011 ext. 1273.
After settling into your campsite on Friday night, head over to the Food Truck’N Friday event for some tasty food and then enjoy the Outdoor Movie (wonder Women) being shown on the ski slope! After your pre-ride or race, why not check out Kelso’s Aerial course or Climbing Tower for some apres race fun! A little jittery about heights? … then head over to the boat rentals and relax on Kelso Lake in a canoe/kayak/SUP. What a great weekend!