The CAN-BIKE Program
Cycling safely and enjoyably on the road
The Benefits to Affiliating
- To access OCA support in delivering programming, developing athletes, event promotion, and delivering coaching and officiating courses
- To support and contribute to the OCA and through association, Cycling Canada, in delivering high performance and talent identification programming including Team Ontario, which feeds the Team Canada program
- To contribute towards and access subsidized programming targeting youth
- To attend annual club meetings coordinated by the OCA and to access the Interclub Council, a forum for OCA affiliated clubs
- To utilize the OCA’s club membership system and insurance program
- To have one vote in the name of the club at the OCA’s AGM, subject to OCA bylaws
Types of clubs/teams:
- Sponsored/bike shop club, or Unsponsored club)
An OCA club must have an open membership, and operate as a non-profit organization with an elected board of directors. Each member must have insurance through the OCA in the form of an OCA Affiliate Club Membership, a Citizen Permit, or a UCI licence. These clubs can run both rides as well as some club only competitive events. For more information on what events are permitted, please see the Club Affiliation Package.
- Private Team
A private team may have a selective membership, and all team members must possess either a UCI licence or Citizen Permit. Private Teams may not sell OCA Affiliate Club Memberships. Private Teams may get some benefits at various races including exclusive access to areas not open to clubs.
Teams may also be covered for certain training/team activities (similar to club activities) if previously recorded and approved by the OCA.
- Supporting business
A business can register as a supporting affiliate of the OCA and sponsor up to 3 athletes for a lower fee than what is paid for a club or private team. All supported team members must possess either a UCI race licence or Citizen Permit. The supporting business receives the benefit of being visible in results, and the ability to advertise on the team jersey. Unfortunately, Supporting Businesses will not be covered for training activities/group rides as the low number of members makes it difficult to successfully implement a well prepared Risk Management Plan.