Cycling competitions include the following events:
Road Events: Road Races, Individual Time Trial, Team Relay for handcycles
Track Events: Pursuit, Sprint, 1km/500m Individual Time Trial
Cycling events are open to all athletes with physical and visual disabilities. However, not all events are offered to all athletes. Example, tandem competitors (blind and partially sighted athletes) compete in track and road events while athletes with cerebral palsy only compete in road events.
Competitors are classified based on their level of physical ability. There are multiple sub-categories within each classification ability. Athletes can be informally classified by a para-cycling coach. However, a formal classification by an approved UCI classification panel will be required for national international competition. These panels are often available at national championships and identified international events. The following is a summary of para-cycling classifications.
- Handcycles have four (4) sub-categories (H1, H2, H3, H4)
- Tandem (stoker + Pilot) (B)
- Tricycles with 2 sub-categories (T1-T2)
- Regular bikes (Upper or/and Lower body disability, amputation, Cerebral Palsy) have five (5) sub-categories (C1, C2, C3, C4, C5)
The OCA is committed to supporting para-cycling and is interested to hear from any potential athletes, coaches, or volunteers. This includes able-bodied cyclists interested in competing as pilots for visually impaired cyclists.
The OCA offers both introductory and competitive programs for para-cyclists.
- Tandem cycling program at the Mattamy National Cycling Centre (Milton Velodrome). This initiative is being delivered in partnership with the W. Ross MacDonald School for the Blind [bicycles and pilots are provided].
- Handcyclists looking for a riding groups [recreational or competitive] can contact the Handcycling Club of Canada to find out about opportunities in their area www.handcycling.ca
- Camps/workshops are also offered by the OCA for new and developing athletes. Please contact Provincial Coach Murray Solem or visit the Team Ontario section of the website CLICK HERE to view upcoming events.
Competitive/ more experienced athletes
- Typically any para classification can integrate into an O-Cup Time Trial however please contact our Sport Coordinator, Jen Eaton prior to registering
- Inaugural Ontario Para-Cycling Race Series August 20th-21st, 2016. The OCA has partnered with Parasport Ontario as hosts for a time trial in Toronto on August 20th and a road race in Markham on August 21st CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
- Team Ontario hosts a number of training camps, including warm-weather camps in the winter, and prepares athletes for competition at national championships and other international events. Please visit the Team Ontario section of the website CLICK HERE to view upcoming events.
Other opportunities for road racing will be identified and announced by the OCA.
For any inquiries, please contact Murray Solem , OCA Para-Cycling Development Coach.