Ontario is relatively young in terms of offering para-cycling development and high performance programming. In recent years, more formalized Team Ontario projects, camps and programming have taken place. Also, during this time, the OCA contracted the research and development of a Para-cycling Strategic Plan to guide the continued implementation of para-cycling initiatives.
At this time, the OCA intends to launch a new program, with several streams to help support a variety of aspiring athletes. The program will maintain a focus on providing identified athletes, who are committed to pursuing international success, with additional training opportunities, increased technical assessment, and opportunities for high level competition support. However, the OCA will continue to offer opportunities for developing para-cycling athletes to participate in training camps and Team Ontario projects.
- Provide additional support for Ontario’s high performing para-cycling athletes through supplementary training opportunities, sport science support, and technical assessment.
- Develop a core training group(s) of athletes to foster positive competition amongst Ontario’s athletes.
- Increase the overall number of para-cyclists in Ontario from grassroots to national team
- Prepare athletes for selection to NextGen and other Cycling Canada projects through achievement of established time standards.
- Maximize Ontario’s contribution to Canada’s international success in para-cycling
For complete details of the different programming being offered, please review the Program Overview document
All interested para-athletes are encouraged to submit an application HERE [deadline December 13, 2020]